The School Age Program’s Curriculum is based on the emergent curriculum within the Early Learning for Every Child Today, 2007 (ELECT) and its six guiding principles. Educators utilize the Continuum of Development from the ELECT, to guide and highlight their observations and documentation in children’s learning stories.
STATEMENT OF PRINCIPLES –
Six overarching principles that orient Early Learning for Every Child Today:
- Early child development sets the foundation for lifetime learning, behaviour and health.
- Partnerships with families and communities strengthen the ability of early childhood settings to meet the needs of young children.
- Respect for diversity, equity and inclusion are prerequisites for honouring children’s rights, optimal development and learning.
- A planned curriculum supports early learning.
- Play is a means to early learning that capitalizes on children’s natural curiosity and exuberance.
- Knowledgeable, responsive early childhood professionals are essential.
How Does Learning Happen? Ontario’s Pedagogy for the Early Years is a research based pedagogical document that supports curriculum as well as Educator thinking and philosophy. Educators are encouraged to use the document in daily practice. The Four Foundations: Belonging, Well-Being, Engagement and Expression are the cornerstones of shaping engaging environments and experiences for children’s learning opportunities.
Other useful resources Educators have access to and integrate into their daily programming include: Think, Feel, Act and the Kindergarten Program from the Ministry of Education which adds more dimension to the Four Foundations with the Four Frameworks in Kindergarten.
Helpful links to learn more:
The ELECT – http://cfcollaborative.ca/wp-content/uploads/ELECT-Jan-2007.pdf
How Does Learning Happen? Ontario’s Pedagogy for the Early Years – http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/childcare/HowLearningHappens.pdf
Think Feel Act – http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/childcare/ResearchBriefs.pdf
The Kindergarten Program – http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/curriculum/elementary/kindergarten.html